12/12/2007

Yikes!

That's all I can say! Today I found out I get Sophie a day early!!!!! I'm excited and very nervous...she isn't too fond of me just yet. Okay, actually...she pretty much is terrified of me. She cries if I try to hold her, I mean, red faced hold your breath kind of crying, not just wimpering...so this is going to be very rough. I'm all over the place with emotions. I'm so happy for me and scared and sad for Sophie and the foster parents, etc. In the morning I need to repack everything so I have it all organized. Wow--we spend all this time planning and waiting and talking and waiting some more and it's finally here.

After our visit today I turned to this nice woman, a fellow "about to be" adoptive parent, and started bawling. She just looked at me and gave me a huge hug. It is so nice to be staying in a place where the people totally get it.

After my meeting rather than fretting I hopped in a taxi and went to Insadong, which is a wonderful shopping area. I managed to tick off the taxi driver because I think he was frustrated that I wanted to go some place so far away with heavy traffic...he just kept shaking his head and letting out these really loud sighs...
When I got to Insadong I was interviewed for Korean television (ask me later), went to a Buddhist temple, and took a taxi back to the guesthouse. From there I went out to a fabulous restaurant with a couple of other families...it was a great way to take my mind off of all my worries and to pass the time while waiting for Sophie. At the restaurant I learned that when you say you want your dish with "only a little spice"...that Koreans have a very different idea from Americans as to what that means.

Tomorrow, other than becoming a mom for the 2nd time I will attend a luncheon held by the staff for the new adoptive families and meet with Dr. Kim...who is the head of Eastern. He will conduct a prayer services for all of the new families, I'm expecting this to be a tear jerker.

That's it for now...

2 komente:

Peggy tha...

Dear Shelly,

Mary connected me with you, I hope you don't mind. Congratulations!
Your little girl is blessed to have you as her Mom. Shelly tears from both Mom and girls are soooo normal, it never ends, just last night I had to crawl into bed with Elizabeth to sooth her tears. Thank God we have each other! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Peggy Burke

Shelly tha...

Thanks Peggy...so good to hear from you! I miss McKinley so much, even though I'm glad to have moved on I have such fond memories of the place.

Sophie is adjusting well, just not sleeping good at all. Anyway, we are a happy, albeit crazy, family.

I hope you and your family have a great holiday...hopefully someday soon I can get over there and see everyone.

Shelly