12/16/2007

We're home!!!


What an exhausting trip! Isn't Sophie adorable? I haven't yet put my photos from Korea on the computer but these were taken our first full day home. Here is a quick overview of what happened the last day of my trip:

  • There was a formal lunch and meetings with the heads of Eastern Social Welfare Services in Korea. It was quite an event...in fact it was all overwhelming.
  • Dr. Kim, the founder of Eastern held a prayer service for families getting their children, myself and two other families. It was such a tearful event, very touching. He took a moment to talk a little about each child and his hopes for their lives and for the future.
  • The foster parents transferred care to me, it was gut-wrenching. Sophie was crying and arching her back, and the foster mom would pull her back to her. Then they would hand her off to me...Sophie would cry again, and the whole cycle would repeat. It was awful. Everyone was crying, the staff, the foster parents, the babies, and the adoptive parents.
  • I took Sophie up to my room and held her for a couple of hours while she cried and arched and grieved...it was so sad. She finally cried herself to sleep and when she woke up was still very sad and refused a bottle the whole night...but was no longer hysterical.
Since coming home Sophie is adjusting well. Our times are a little messed up and she is teething...nights are tough, but she is a delightful child with a beautiful smile. She loves to play...Alex is the best big brother and is so patient with her. He sent his friends away so he could spend time with Sophie...it has been very sweet. Just now he went to a friends and asked me to call him when she woke up from her nap so he could come back. We are all so happy.



--

Nuk ka komente: